or Kasni, Chicory, Blue sailors, Succory, Coffeeweed, Endive is a perennial growing upto 1.5 m, herbaceous, branching, erect, with milky sap, from a massive taproot. The stems are variously colored, ranging from green to reddish brown. The lower stems can be quite hairy, while the upper stems are nearly hairless. The upper stems terminate in long inflorescences, the petaloid rays of these florets are light blue in colour.Medicinal Uses:
- Inulin, the dietary fiber found in chicory is a helpful ingredient in treating diabetes and constipation.
- Chicory is recommended for jaundice and spleen problems.
- Chicory is useful as blood cleanser, appetite stimulant and an anti-inflammatory.
- As a mild diuretic, Chicory increases the elimination of fluid from the body, leading to its use as a treatment for rheumatism and gout.
- Chicory contains volatile oils effective at eliminating intestinal worms.
- Chicory is used as a tonic in the treatment of gallstones, gastro-enteritis, sinus problems, cuts and bruises.